Over 25kg Scheme
If you plan to build and fly a model aircraft in the UK of any type which weighs over 25kg MTOM then it is mandatory (a requirement of the Civil Aviation Authority) that the aircraft is built, inspected and flight proven using the over 25kg scheme operated by the Large Model Association on behalf of the CAA.
The top level summary of the scheme is-
- A model aircraft is inspected throughout the design and build process by an LMA appointed inspector, who will ensure that the model design and quality of build meets the requirements of the scheme.
- Final inspection of the model aircraft carried out by the inspector(s) and a final inspection report submitted by the inspector to the LMA
- Final inspection report checked by the LMA and a Certificate of Design & Construction issued by the LMA
- Over 25kg Test Flight Permit specific to that aircraft and valid for twelve months is issued digitally by the LMA to the aircraft operator
- When the operator is in possession of the Test Flight Permit, the flight testing may begin.
- The flight test requirements / limitations that apply will be detailed on the Test Flight Permit in addition to any aircraft specific limitations.
- Every flight must be at a site specifically approved by the LMA for test flying over 25kg model aircraft
- Every flight must be witnessed by an LMA approved flight test witness and details of the flight recorded on the flight test log
- When the test flight programme is successfully completed, the flight test log is submitted to the LMA by the aircraft operator
- The flight test log is reviewed by the LMA and a Certificate of Flight Test issued by the LMA
- Aircraft operator applies to the CAA via the LMA for a full authorisation
- The aircraft can be flown while waiting for the full authorisation application to be processed. All flights must be in the presence of an LMA approved flight test witness
- There are no named pilots for flight testing on the flight test permit. Anyone who the aircraft’s operator allows to fly the aircraft and is agreed by the flight test witness can fly the aircraft, but only for the purposes of completing a flight test programme.
The Scheme overall requirements document can be downloaded Here
The fixed wing flight test log can be downloaded Here
A completed example of the fixed wing flight test log can be downloaded here
The rotary wing flight test log can be downloaded Here
A completed example of the rotary wing flight test log can be downloaded here
The Following Locations are approved for flight testing of over 25kg model aircraft in accordance with section 4.8 (8) of Model Aircraft Article 16 Authorisation UAS13534
Weston Zoyland Airfield
Langar Model Aircraft Club
Binham Model Flying Site
Cheddar Model Flying Site
RAF Barkston Heath
LMA North West Model Flying Site
LMA Lighthorne Model Flying Site
Staffordshire RC Aerodrome
Wimborne MAC Cashmoor
↑ Back to the Top